Most people don't know that Boston was one of the premier manufacturing centers for clothing before New York became the enduring fashion powerhouse of the East Coast. But aside from its haute heritage, there are a lot of reasons you should care about Boston:
1. Boston Fashion Week: Founded in 1995, this collaboration of the city's most skilled and talented local designers, entrepreneurs, students and artists brings the city of Boston a series of fashion shows, classes, films, panel discussions, parties and more.
2. Good reads: In addition to local talent on the fashion front, Boston is home to some of my favorite reads including Fashion Boston Magazine, Scene Boston, and The Bostonista @ Boston Magazine.
3. The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: The MFA's textiles collection was started when Boston was the center of the US textile industry, currently boasting ownership of more than 27,000 objects ranging from American needlepoint to haute couture fashions.
4. Designer Education: Not only Boston is home to several leading fashion design schools including The New England Institute of Art and The School of Fashion Design, and Massachusetts College of Art & Design. Carry on!
5. Fashionable Natives: Boston is home to some of fashion's best kept secrets including Guilded Boston (a design collective), Marilyn Riseman (grand duchess of Boston’s haute couture scene), Priscilla of Boston, and Omaskas Designs by Sheela Mehrotra.
And finally, Trend de la Creme is moving to Boston!!
Yes, you read that correctly. I will be leaving my sunny abode here in California to drive cross country with my dogs in tow. Over the next two weeks, I will be reporting from rest stops and truck stops along the way until I reach my final destination: BOSTON. And, given all it has to offer, I think I'm going to really enjoy it :)